So far April has brought no showers and it's been very windy, more like March.  By this time, leaves are usually plump with moisture and things look new and fresh.  I'm checking on the vegetables daily, watering often while the roots are getting established.  A possibility of rain is due through the night with a better chance tomorrow.  Cliff helped me build six permanent raised beds of varying sizes this year which cuts the tilling area to about half.  Next year I'll just loosen the soil with a garden fork and throw in some more compost in late winter/early spring.  We both are pleased with the raised beds.  They may be easier for me to plant in when I'm 85 as long as I don't trip on an exposed tree root and roll all the way down to the creek.
Spinach and kale.
sugar snap sweet peas
Rhubarb has flourished this year.  I added lots of compost to the soil, threw in some onions in front of them and few radishes.  This year I'm sticking seeds in anywhere there's a space.
turnips, oriental greens, red merlot lettuce and another leaf lettuce
Pulled about a dozen radishes yesterday.  Radishes are quick growers and crunchy right out of the garden.  This was the first planting from50 days ago. 

 Hope to do the farmers market a few Saturdays before Mother's Day.
Just a few of the things I came up with.  Gardening hats.  Aprons went well for Mother's Day and hanging plastic bag holders.  The red one folded in half has alternating red and black bands.  I've become a "fair-weather" vendor.  Also, don't want to be there every Saturday because it's too much like working, but I really enjoy working with fabric and need to do something with all the stuff I create.  Also, designed some new yoga mat bags which I plan on asking the Blue Moon Elise in town if she has an interest in selling them.  She teaches yoga classes and sells hand-made soaps and yoga supplies in her store.  I've been sewing so much I burned out the foot pedal to my Singer and had to order one online yesterday.  I'm surprised smoke didn't come out of it. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog