When I come across a recipe that's good for what ails you, I think back to late nineteenth-century America when traveling salesmen entertained crowds of believers with their elixirs, herbal remedies, and miracle cures.  These traveling shows featured music, juggling, and over-blown rhetoric mixed with testimonials and stunts that demonstrated cures.  These were the early infomercials.  Recently I came across an article that started "holding a bit more weight than you'd like?"  Naturally, I kept reading.  This winter added another 7 pounds around the waist and hips. I discovered a formula for a Detox Elixir.  It claimed the cayenne pepper revs up the metabolism by warming the body and burning more calories.  Cinnamon reduces blood sugar and LDL (bad cholesterol) and increases insulin levels. Lemon adds flavors and cleansing power.  All of those are true.

The Formula:
   * 8 ounces hot water
   * 2 dashes cayenne pepper
   * 1 cinnamon stick
   * juice of 1/2 lemon

What defines a dash ?  The first time I made this elixir, I shook the cayenne pepper container twice into my tea cup holding the cinnamon stick and the lemon juice.








My metabolism was revved!
The next day I down-played the cayenne pepper a little so I was able to taste and enjoy the cinnamon and lemon hidden beneath the fire.  Actually, when done in moderation, the tea is quite good.  It's warming and I like the cinnamon taste.  Now I drink this elixir after consuming a half bag of 40% reduced fat Cape Cod kettle cooked  potato chips.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog