As part of my lazy hazy days of summer reading, I finished another David Baldacci novel but found I needed a rest from being chased, shot at, and escaping from within-an-inch of my life. I needed a breather. On the back of my running grocery list is a list of possible next reads. Goodreads is a my go-to online site. I research authors who write like.........., or authors who write about SC or NC, or lighthouse mysteries, or whatever I'm in the mood to read. With list in hand, I returned the David Baldacci novel to the library, and began my quest for the next read, when I was diverted by a different author and title. What We Keep by Elizabeth Berg caught my eye. She wasn't on my author list but I was intrigued by her book covers. This happens often to me. I'll look up a word in the dictionary and get sidetracked by other interesting words or head down the grocery aisle looking for pasta and find myself reading labels on sardine cans. That book was checked out and read in a week. While still in a Berg mood, I found another by her. A Year of Pleasures acknowledges the solace found in ordinary things and touches each reader in a personal way. Sometimes we need a jolt to awaken and renew ourselves. This book got me thinking about my impending 70th birthday. I can't believe I actually typed those numbers and admitted it! My image of that age is not the way I feel. When you read novels with grand plans for family reunions that celebrate a milestone, you imagine it's what you will do when you reach a milestone, but life doesn't work that way. So you resort to plan B, finding solace in travel, good food, and an appreciation of each others company.
Popular posts from this blog
We haven't had any rain in weeks and the next ten days show no rain in sight. Trees usually are bursting with fresh green leaves by this time but not leaves sprouting yet. I haven't planted any seeds in the big garden because it'll be too much work to keep that garden watered. I thought about building a raised garden to put by the porch stairs but that would mean power saws so that was out. I found that Lowe's had a 2' X 4' cedar planter kit in a box that I could assemble myself. I started assembling it on the porch with the intent of carrying it down to where I thought it would be best but plans changed. It's a tool-free frame assembly kit where all the parts are computer-driven cut and fit together without fastening. The instructions are the kind I like......no reading to confuse me, just pictures. After I assembled the whole bed, sides slats and all, it was too heavy for me and because it wasn't fast...
Another sign of autumn is saying "good-bye" until next spring to the farmers markets in the area. I visited the Blairsville market this morning, much later than my summer runs. It's colder in the mornings and I chose not to rush out. In the summer I was at the markets by nine to be sure I got the fresh greens before the vendors ran out and the summertime I have more energy. Now I linger longer under my warm cozy covers, stretch and wiggle before putting my feet on the cold floor. Japanese turnips and whatever the other bunch is. I can't remember what she said. Maybe a variety of a kale? Anyway, it's something for me to saute or throw in a soup. A few days I did a slow-cook whole chicken, picked all the meat of the carcass, and froze the chicken in four bags. Then added water to the carcass and onions, carrots, celery, a couple of bay leaves to boil for stock. I got four containers of stock in the freezer for...
Comments