As part of my lazy hazy days of summer reading, I finished another David Baldacci novel but found I needed a rest from being chased, shot at, and escaping from within-an-inch of my life.  I needed a breather.  On the back of my running grocery list is a list of possible next reads.  Goodreads is a my go-to online site.  I research authors who write like.........., or authors who write about SC or NC, or lighthouse mysteries, or whatever I'm in the mood to read.  With list in hand, I returned the David Baldacci novel to the library, and began my quest for the next read, when I was diverted by a different author and title.  What We Keep by Elizabeth Berg caught my eye.  She wasn't on my author list but I was intrigued by her book covers.  This happens often to me.  I'll look up a word in the dictionary and get sidetracked by other interesting words or head down the grocery aisle looking for pasta and find myself reading labels on sardine cans.  That book was checked out and read in a week.  While still in a Berg mood, I found another by her.  A Year of Pleasures acknowledges the solace found in ordinary things and touches each reader in a personal way.  Sometimes we need a jolt to awaken and renew ourselves.  This book got me thinking about my impending 70th birthday.  I can't believe I actually typed those numbers and admitted it!  My image of that age is not the way I feel.  When you read novels with grand plans for family reunions that celebrate a milestone, you imagine it's what you will do when you reach a milestone, but life doesn't work that way.  So you resort to plan B, finding solace in travel, good food, and an appreciation of each others company. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog