I feel like a traitor. We skipped our Murphy farmers market and drove to Blairsville to the Union County farmers market which offers much more than ours. I don't know the reason behind the mayor not supporting our local market but each year fewer and fewer vendors set up at the L & N Depot. Seven-and-a-half years ago vendor tents surrounded the depot building and filled the paved parking area. There were at least a half-dozen different tents with farm produce, an area set aside for small livestock and poultry sales, pottery, and many other crafts. Now on a good Saturday, there's less than half of what there used to be. The Union County market has three open buildings with ninety sites where vendors back their vehicles up to their covered site and sell tailgate style or set up at tables. I found "Bring Home the Bakin' " which is all gluten free baked goods. I bought two scones and lemon square. Mmmmmmm! We met Barb and Mike in the parking lot. Barb bought two pounds of okra for pickling. Tuesday morning I'll cut my garden dill and we'll pickle at her house.
Popular posts from this blog
We haven't had any rain in weeks and the next ten days show no rain in sight. Trees usually are bursting with fresh green leaves by this time but not leaves sprouting yet. I haven't planted any seeds in the big garden because it'll be too much work to keep that garden watered. I thought about building a raised garden to put by the porch stairs but that would mean power saws so that was out. I found that Lowe's had a 2' X 4' cedar planter kit in a box that I could assemble myself. I started assembling it on the porch with the intent of carrying it down to where I thought it would be best but plans changed. It's a tool-free frame assembly kit where all the parts are computer-driven cut and fit together without fastening. The instructions are the kind I like......no reading to confuse me, just pictures. After I assembled the whole bed, sides slats and all, it was too heavy for me and because it wasn't fast...
Another sign of autumn is saying "good-bye" until next spring to the farmers markets in the area. I visited the Blairsville market this morning, much later than my summer runs. It's colder in the mornings and I chose not to rush out. In the summer I was at the markets by nine to be sure I got the fresh greens before the vendors ran out and the summertime I have more energy. Now I linger longer under my warm cozy covers, stretch and wiggle before putting my feet on the cold floor. Japanese turnips and whatever the other bunch is. I can't remember what she said. Maybe a variety of a kale? Anyway, it's something for me to saute or throw in a soup. A few days I did a slow-cook whole chicken, picked all the meat of the carcass, and froze the chicken in four bags. Then added water to the carcass and onions, carrots, celery, a couple of bay leaves to boil for stock. I got four containers of stock in the freezer for...
Comments