At 7:15 this morning the forest was still and serene.  It was 47 degrees on our mountain.  Warm enough for me to still walk around the porch and soak up up the quiet.  Early morning is a good time  for my brain before any infiltration of useless chatter or world news enters my ears.  I often wake with thoughts I'd like to "pen" but the computer's not awake, (I could pick up a pen, I suppose) or I need to get moving for Zumba class, but this morning all is quiet and hushed.  No matter what the temperature, stepping outside with my coffee awakens my brain.  Brisk air on cheeks and bare feet remind me I'm alive and can sense nature's wonders.  Early foggy mornings have a moist smell and feel.  Fog doesn't have any taste. The house tucked in the woods up on the hill seen from our back porch, lights up when Christmas visitors come from Florida hoping to see snow.   This year there will be no snow.   I think of my family as Christmas Eve nears.  Lauria and Jim rushing frantically to finish wrapping presents,  Michael and Mike Jr. up in Ossipee, NH with a possibility of light snow.  Mark and Jen visiting her parents in sunny Florida.  John and Carolyn in Shawnee, KS with their first Christmas alone without their adult children nearby.  All the rushing and bustling about comes to an end tonight as people slow down and get together for the Eve gathering or reflectively attend candlelight services to bring meaning to this time. 

I wonder where Santa is as I write.

Merry Christmas to all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog