It's convenient to have enough leftovers from a meal sometimes to warm up later for another meal.  I used to chuckle at my parents saving small amounts of leftover vegetables that hardly seemed worth using space in the refrigerator.  But every small amount eventually went into a soup or some concoction that ended up being eaten.  A few weeks ago we had about 1/2 cup of corn left from our supper that could be thrown into a soup so I left it cooling on the counter.  Most of the time I remember to cover things with Saran wrap within an hour after clean up.  About three hours later I went to the kitchen to set up my coffee maker for morning and discovered the corn was still sitting on the counter.  I hemmed and hawed.........hmmmm.......wondering whether to pitch it in the trash or save it.  It got covered with Saran and  placed in the fridge.  When I get home from Zumba and yoga, I'm hungry and usually grab an apple or some leftovers to hold me until I get our lunch made.  The corn got microwaved and I ate it while making us a tuna sandwich.  A short time later, I had pain under my ribs and as time passed, it worsened.  Cliff got busy doing things and didn't notice and I never told him until a few hours later when I couldn't stand it longer.  I gobbled one of his Tums but that didn't seem to help.  Of course I was afraid I was having a heart-attack and I know that women present differently than men.  I kept thinking if I die of something I could have prevented, I'm going to be really ticked!  So I finally told him.  He went through his medical assessment with me and said calmly, "you're not having a heart-attack.  Call your doctor and tell him what you ate."  I related everything to the doc and he said I wasn't having a heart-attack.  He explained that the corn sat out on the counter too long, then was heated up in the microwave, and started a fermenting process.  Isn't white lightning made with corn?  I was making hooch, 160 proof!  It took a few hours for the bloating and discomfort to subside.  I haven't been able to even look at corn since.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog