My tomatoes are late this year.  I think it's due to not starting them inside under the grow light that Cliff built me years ago.  We didn't set it up in the dining room in February so nothing got an early start.  Some seeds germinated and sprouted on south-facing window sills; others were put out on the open porch.  Usually by this time in August most garden tomato plants are worn out from expending all their energy into ripening their fruits and are ready to be pulled up.  My black vernissage tomatoes, which was a gift that came with my spring seed order, grow in clusters.
 When fully ripened, this two-ounce tomato will be a rich red with deep green stripes.  I can hardly wait.
I'm 5 foot 7 inches.   Cliff has been busy trying to keep this upright through wind and rain.
At the lower end of the "beanstalk" he secured the cloth tie that's gently wrapped around the stalk with Gorilla tape.
The pole is one of Cliff's ham radio masts that became useful.
The mast is inserted deeply into the raised garden container and supported by the chair weighed down with two concrete blocks.  This picture was taken weeks ago before the plant surpassed the mast.

I spent a few hours this morning in the garden loosening the clay and pulling weeds.  Our neighbor, Charlie, has been bitten by the wood-lathe turning "bug" and turns bowls every chance he gets bringing me shavings for my compost and garden.
Inches of shavings on the walking path should keep weed growth down.  I planted kale and Swiss chard this morning for my fall crops.  Found two new vole holes in this area,  Cliff is gassing them as I type.

This year the back half of the garden is bursting with red and blue salvia, holy basil, and a mixture of other bee and hummingbird attractants.  These wonderful flowers are volunteers that popped through the clay many weeks after Cliff tilled the garden for me in the spring.  My sister suggested that I grow flowers as my gardening routine changes through the years.  She's a gem!

Not sure what the last update of the bathroom was and too lazy to look back at the earlier posts.

Cliff painted the walls this morning.  I thought about doing it but was concerned about inflammation and pain later.  He was concerned also so he told me to get out of the bathroom so he could paint.  That way he didn't have to listen to me whine.
The paint is a Sherwin Williams lightweight beige.  Paint appears different with no natural light.  I love the look.  Had a difficult time choosing between the last two paint cards.  The beige has a slight peachy tone.  The other paint chip was a flatter sand tone.

Floor will be waterproof vinyl planks finishing the bathroom with a rustic feel.   Cliff placed a few to get a visual and estimate the cuts.  Yesterday we drove to Home Depot........again...........in Blairsville, GA to return the first toilet.  Two different friends suggested we install the chair height, 16 1/2" toilet, so as we become decrepit and old, we can still sit and enjoy "the go."  Sitting on the back porch now is the new 16 1/2" toilet.
I can actually brush my teeth tonight in my little bathroom! Cliff has been wonderful through this remodeling.  I stayed out of his and Charlie's way as they worked, sometimes taking a break and reading in my recliner.  It's tough not being a part of what's going on........but today I don't ache..... so far.  I did hold the paint pan while he did the bathroom walls and made him his iced tea.

Speaking of iced tea.............
Four bags of your favorite tea in a Mason jar of about 28 ounces of water makes a nice tea.  Placing it in the sun all day gives the tea energy.  Leaving it out all night with the moon is a calmer tea.  Cliff loves his peach tea.  I drink hibiscus tea during the summer heat.  It has a cooling mood.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog