Lettuce and spinach are table ready.  We've been eating fresh lettuce now for about a week.
I've had to apply my pungent soapy solution after each rain to keep the tiny insects from munching the leaves.  One type of leaf in the mixed row is so full of chew holes that it looks like lace.
Potatoes 

Planted sunflower, nasturtium, and marigold seeds earlier this week.  Summer squash and cucumbers are up.  Set all twelve tomatoes and too many peppers, both yellow and red.  Gave away quite a few then planted all the ones I couldn't give away.  Have two eggplants in.  No melons this year.  Only have room now for the winter squash, which I will plant when we get back from our visit with Mark and John.  I've noticed  a tremendous difference in the quality of the plants this year due to heritage or organic seeds that I purchased from my two seed catalogs. 

Mountain laurel are in full bloom all throughout the forest.  In the three-and-a-half years that we've been here, I've only seen the small one near our back porch blossom.  This year this huge one near the garden burst open last week and when I walked down to the creek, I noticed a least six other mountain laurels full of pink flowers.
I'm vacuuming the back porch and the porch furniture daily right now.  There is some new pollen settling on everything and it's large.  When I try just to wipe it, it seems to clump and roll around making me chase it and it irritates my Italian nose. 

Just finished making Mark's curtains for the house he bought last summer and am making  grilling aprons for each to wear when they cook outside.   We'll celebrate both May birthdays while we're out in KS/MO.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog