We belong to a CSA through Candy Mountain Farms.  Each Tuesday we pick up our vegetables and sometimes apples and honey or polenta or fresh ground cornmeal.  We never know what will be in the canvas sack and each Tuesday is like a birthday.  I still have the polenta in the cupboard but made a wonderful cornmeal bread the same day I found the cornmeal in my bag.  We had it with our homemade chicken soup.  The free-range chicken came from Walnut Grove Farm in Hayesville, which we drive by on our way to the nursing home to see Cliff's mother.  This week's bag was as  heavy as a body bag.
I don't know how to cook the big green thing.  I also know I won't be cutting it.  I've got some recipe researching to do.  We've accumulated about thirty pounds of potatoes and with our garden potatoes should have enough to store for the winter.  Last week we found collard greens in our bag.  Had never seen collard greens before and had never eaten them.  Found an easy recipe that boils the greens for a few minutes, then sautes them in olive oil and lots of garlic.  Cliff never knows what I'm brewing up in the kitchen.  Tonight I made quinoa stuffed red peppers with the boulder-size peppers from this week's delivery.  We still have winter salad greens, crispy radishes, and celery in the vegetable drawer to eat up before the next drop-off on Tuesday.  We've had arugula, bok choy, cilantro, some very hot peppers which I am drying for later use, fresh ginger root and tumeric root.  The week we received local apples, I made an apple crisp.  I enjoy trying new dishes, eating new foods I've never eaten before, but especially enjoy the surprise canvas sack each week. 

Comments

Karen Swain said…
Regarding the "big green thing" aka winter squash, you can cut or saw it in half, put the halves cut side down in a baking pan and bake it until you can pierce the skin with a fork. Or you can add a little water to pan and cover the pan with foil and bake/steam it until tender. Don't bother trying to peel it! I love winter squash. We used to grow several kinds when we lived in PA. They keep well if stored in a cool place.

Popular posts from this blog