Alzheimer and dementia rob human beings of their memory, judgment, and their dignity and test the strength and patience of the family and the caregivers.  Some days the visit allows us a smile but some visits, like today's, leave you aching deep down within your gut.  Today his mother got out of bed, wheeled herself down one corridor, turned around and put herself back to bed.  When Cliff tried to hug her, she turned her back to him.  Even though his head knows it's the disease, his heart feels the sharp pain of rejection.

Last night we knew we needed to get out of the house and have some fun, laugh, and talk with friends.  My favorite rescue organization, Logan's Run, held a Bavarian dinner and silent auction fundraiser in their parking lot.  The evening was breezy and brisk and the temperature dropped quickly as the sun slid down behind the buildings. 

 Purchasing the dinner which was brats on a rolls, sauerkraut, German potato salad, and a huge scrumptious apple dessert piled high with vanilla bean ice-cream.  Guess what my favorite food group was in that meal.
                                               Cool and windy. 
I don't know where Linda dug up the authentic Bavarian but he delighted us with his jokes and songs.  One of the favorite for the evening was "I Don't Look Good Naked Anymore."
I fell in love with this ceramic coffee mug, made by a local potter, with a sleeping droopy-eared dog on the handle.  She donated all her proceeds to Logan's Run Rescue.  At first I thought about buying the mug for Lauria, but then greed took over and I decided to keep it for myself.  Monday I'll get in touch with the potter and buy Lauria a left-handed dog mug. 





Comments

Karen Swain said…
My heart goes out to you and Cliff. I remember my mom having to deal with my Grandmother. She was 99 years old, healthy as a horse (well, a 99 year old one), but her mind was shot and she was convinced my mom was the evil one. It tears your heart out.

Popular posts from this blog