The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, which dates back over 11, 000 years, is performing in Hayesville, NC all weekend.  This morning we visited the historic village and watched the Cherokee North Carolina's Oconaluftee Living History Village Performers dance three of their ritual story telling dances.

Their dances narrated of picking corn and placing it in the woman's imaginary basket, about early buffalo (which were smaller than western buffalo and actually roamed in this area many years ago), and about ants scurrying around looking for sweets.  An elder demonstrated pottery making, children learned how to paint gourds, frybread was offered under the food tent, and there were many other demonstrations.

We also toured the Clay County Old Jail Museum.
I texted this shot to the VA grandchildren and told them my sentenced would be up when Papa needed his next meal prepared.
                                                 My bed
                                                 My bathtub.
Pictures from the rest of the Jail Museum

Kitchen were equipped with a wooden dish towel rack attached to the wall.  I have my mother's metal dish towel rack hanging in my kitchen.
"Number please."  Boy, have we come a long way.
The seamstress's sewing table and fabric.
A very uncomfortable wheelchair.  You'd want to get well quickly.
A child's rocking horse.  Ooooo..........painful.
And my favorite....................
Ye Old Moonshine Still, which still quietly exists.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog