Saturday at the farmers market I bought two large bunches of fresh deep red beets.  I tried new a pickled beet recipe with a few, made a soup to freeze with four more, stored the rest, and washed the leaves and stems for salads, quiches, and other recipes.  Yesterday I searched online for a recipe to use red lentils and lots of beet greens while they were still fresh and crisp.  There are many spices and herbs that help keep my inflammation under control so I've been dabbling with the Indian cuisine as those recipes use coriander, cumin, tumeric, ginger, garlic, etc.  The Mung Dal (Moong Dal) with Beet Greens  recipe sounded easy, delicious and would use up beet greens from three beets.  Actually, I substituted red lentils for the split-yellow mung beans.  When I find a recipe that intrigues me but calls for unusual ingredients, I order anything not found in our Ingles, on Jet.com or Amazon Prime.  In the July issue of Consumer Reports, articles included online shopping, the new wave of big city grocery stores delivering computer-generated orders, and the future of the supermarket.  I never thought I'd be an online shopper but many orders are delivered in two days at the door.  This is how I ordered two two-pound bags of Masoor Dal, (split red lentils) for a recipe I wanted to try.   After preparing the recipe and eating a bowl for my supper, Cliff had a bison burger, it came to me that I never read the ingredients on the Masoor Dal package.  I had let my guard down.  Usually I read everything I buy to avoid any wheat additives and wheat fillers are in more products that people would imagine.  For the last couple of months I've had left wrist and thumb aches/pains and couldn't figure out why.  Who would think lentils would have wheat exposure?  Products processed in plants that also process wheat additives contaminate everything.  So I'm back to reading everything I purchase.  Sadly, I threw the Mung Dal over the back porch rail to the opossums.  This afternoon after reading all my ingredients,  I made a kale (from the garden), ricotta, and sun-dried tomato quiche.

This morning we had the oil changed in the Kia, enjoyed coffee and eggs at our local diner, then made an appointment for a new windshield to be installed in the Kia.  Thursday on our drive home from Wilmington, a large rock hit the right upper corner and left a half-dollar size star in the glass.  When you hear that unmistakable sharp ping on your windshield, you know what's happened.






























Comments

Popular posts from this blog