The Carolina wren feeding frenzy starts around 6:30 am and continues all day.
Nested deep into the geraniums are three infant wrens.  From the kitchen window I can watch the parents cautiously arrive with insects in beaks, sit on the edge of the window box scanning their surroundings before hopping into the dark nest to feed their babies.  The babies are still quite frail looking and sleep between feedings.  When they wake their heads strut out with beaks open waiting for more food.  It's an all day job hopping along the porch rails and floor, grabbing moths and grubs and feeding three hungry babies.  They must be exhausted by dark.

I love the taste of traditional creamy Italian ricotta cheese.  Mostly I use it in lasagna and stuffed shell dishes.  Sometimes I enjoy it right out of the container.  The other day I found a recipe for a Chocolate Ricotta Mousse.
Ingredients:
2 cups of ricotta      I use part skim.
6 tablespoons coconut sugar or maple syrup
50 grams cocoa  (probably 1/2 to 3/4 cup, according to how rich you like it.)
1-2 teaspoons vanilla

Put ricotta cheese in a processor with the normal blade.  I added 6 tablespoons of coconut sugar.

  Add 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla.  Then process until smooth.  At this point you can dish it and eat it as a vanilla mousse.  For the chocoholics, like me, add cacao powder, or chocolate to taste.

Process until creamy.  Spoon into individual dishes.  Enjoy with whipped cream and a cherry if desired.
I like this because it's quick and easy and I can add ingredients to my taste buds.  Exact measurements aren't critical.
I'm not a big whipped cream fan.  You couldn't see the mousse under Cliff's whipped cream.  Clean up is more work than using a hand mixer, but the texture is creamier, and you shouldn't lick the blade like you can with the beaters.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog