"I did not have three thousand pairs of shoes.  I had one thousand and sixty." ~ Imelda Marcos

My neighbors probably think I'm having an affair with my Fed Ex driver.  It gives them a reason to press their noses against their windows or gawk as they crawl by our house at a snail's pace.  The Fed Ex or UPS truck is backed to the front porch steps at least three times each week with my online purchases.  I have the sweetest most pleasant Fed Ex delivery person ever.  No matter what the weather, there's always a short exchange of pleasantries before wishing each other a wonderful rest of the day.  After eight and a half years of being here, I still marvel at the rural country living attitudes compared to what we had in the quick city pace in Florida.  Today my Fed Ex truck delivered another pair of DSW athletic shoes for me.  Our nearest DSW is 74 miles away in Chattanooga.  My $15 off certificate was nearing its expiration date but it's too hot to drive to the city unless we were planning to a stop at Carrabba's.  Online shopping is so convenient and shipping is free when my shoe order reaches $35.  This time I purchased a walking shoe with memory foam, not for the gym, just for everyday use.  I prefer bare feet but when working in the kitchen for hours, good absorption prevents tired knees and legs.  These sneakers are like walking on clouds.   Of course, I don't have shoes delivered three times a week.  I wonder if Imelda has ever shopped online.  I use Jet.com and Amazon Prime for everything from supplements, vitamins, my teas, and almond flour to grill replacement parts, roof cleaner, and kitchen gadgets and spiralizers.

We now have the real "empty nest" syndrome.  For weeks we've watched the Carolina wrens build their shabby chic nest in the kitchen geranium window box.  After the chicks hatched, we watched both parents gather grubs starting with very small insects then graduating to larger moths and creepy spiders. Just four days ago, four round well-fed babies made their appearance.  I noticed they spent more time out of the nest until we went out the kitchen door and then they crammed their plump bodies back into the tunnel.  It was obvious these birds had outgrown the nursery.





 The parent makes sure the scene is secure before feeding.

  We got so hyped  because we hoped to watch them fledge in the next few days.  It was amazing how much they bulked up in a short time.  Tuesday I had to see my rheumatologist in Copperhill, TN and while we were gone, the parents prodded their little ones out of the nest and into the trees.  Our babies are all grown up and out on their own.

And recently on Boulder Creek Rd we saw this doe and her twins, still with their protective white spots.
That's not snow in the picture.  This was taken through Cliff's Toyota windshield.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog