Saturday June 27, 1987
light rain 65 degrees
 That letter that I wrote about June--The poem was a quote from James Russell Lowell.  I love that poem and it epitomizes June for me.  I expect June to conform to that verse.  I have another that I love about May.  It goes--"In May when sea winds pierce our solitudes, I found the fresh rhodora growing in the brook.  Its leafless petals fallen in the pool--"  That may not be exact, it floats through my mind and I can't get it.  I can't remember the poet."
 Have a good week.  Love to all.
love, Mom & Dad
 Related image
It's too bad my mother couldn't have searched Google back in '87 and read all of "The Rhodora", an 1834 Ralph Waldo Emerson poem.  Her June was a rainy one in '87.  "The garden was growing beautifully, and so were the weeds!." 

Our spring started out hot and dry but by the end of May the rain barrel overflowed and the plants had more than enough to drink.  We had another 2" of rain a few days ago and a good thunderstorm last evening.  Lightning hit close or hit something and went to ground because with the flash we heard an arcing sound at the back of the house.  After the storm passed, Cliff checked the Generac and walked the perimeter of the house.

The carrot patch is empty and waiting for fall seed planting.  I think I'll do a small area for collards and mustard, which continue growing into the winter season, some lettuce, beets, maybe a few radishes, and storage potatoes.  I've never planted a fall potato patch, but Barb did last year in August and harvested enough in October for her winter storage.  Because of the numerous cloudy rainy days, our tomatoes haven't produced many blossoms.  I only have a few tomatoes so the other day I fed them with a tomato  fertilizer and threatened to uproot the little suckers if they didn't behave.
First green and yellow beans.  I prefer last year's yellow beans over this year's flatter shape.
Made a red cabbage slaw with cabbage given to us from a friend who does Zumba with me.
Cucumbers love the abundant rain and are starting to climb up.
Cliff helped rake the infested straw from the potato patch, bag in black plastic bags and leave them in the hot sun.  We'll leave this black plastic for a few weeks and bake the evil critters so the fall garden can be started in August.
Important message on our door.  Mother bird stuck her frightened little head out of the geranium nest when I slowing poured a little water in the window planter. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog