Delightfully cool 52 degree morning!

Many years ago, maybe about fifteen or so when we lived in Florida and Cliff's mother was in her early 70's, she flew down a few times to stay with us.  We took her to D.J.'s, our favorite outdoor eating place, where we sat at umbrella-covered picnic tables only feet away from the inter-coastal water, watched the fishing boats come in, and the pelicans perch on ocean-weathered wooden piles.  Back at the house we often just sat on the screen porch and chatted.   On our work days, Dot would spend her day on the porch reading or enjoying the birds at the feeders and occasionally would spot a brown bunny cautiously emerge from the woods making its way to seeds dropped from the feeders.  On our arrival home from work, she would recant her daily activities but on this one day she told us that she watched the bunny for hours that afternoon and for some strange reason it never moved from its spot.  We chuckled and Cliff had to burst her bubble when he told her she had been watching a rotted tree stump at the edge of the woods.  So, where am I going with this? Oh, yes.  I remember now.  Two evenings ago as dusk set in, I stood at the dining room window scanning the garden and the woods to the west.  The sun had already disappeared behind the tall oaks making the garden area appear darker than the front of the house.  The recent black bear image at 4 a.m. in the front garden was still very vivid in my brain so when I spotted a large black image down near the back woods, I quietly walked out onto the porch for a clearer look.  But my eyes still only saw a dark blurry form.  I told Cliff the bear was at the edge of the woods and patiently watched for any movement in any direction but it never happened.  Oh, no, I thought it's happening to me.  Now I'm watching a rotting tree stump at the edge of the woods. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog