Fifty-one crisp degrees this morning at seven.  With our forest so lushly thick and an earlier sunrise, we can't see the brilliant rays peeking through the leaves until it's a bit higher on the mountain horizon.  The Carolina wren is our "rooster" perched on the porch rail or high on Cliff's shed tower with neck extended, head back, cheerfully singing just as loudly as his can. 

From the back woods we hear the rose-breasted grosbeak's distinct melody of notes.  As soon as I finish breakfast, I head to the garden. Trees shade the garden until around noon so I have hours to enjoy the garden chores before it's too sunny and hot to work anymore.

Cliff finished the north-side of the house today.  It's a difficult task moving the extension ladder and setting the leg extensions to fit securely and safely on the slope. It makes me nervous when he works on the north side.   He scraped the stain drips from the six windows on that side, cleaned away years of old cobwebs and debris, then washed the windows.  It's such a dreaded task that this is only the second time the windows have been washed in the ten years we've been here. Years ago I tried using outdoor Windex which screws onto the hose and sprays the wash and rinse, but I had to add a second hose in order to reach the north side so lost the needed pressure for a thorough cleaning.   Next we'll pick at the porch floor and rails, the dreaded boring rail staining.

About four weeks ago, I scattered a packet of bee and hummingbird attractant flower seeds on top of the rocky clay soil and misted the soil with the hose.  Directions clearly state not to cover the seeds.  It was breezy and I thought for sure either the seeds would end up in someone else's yard or dry up.  What a pleasant surprise to see that the seeds germinated.  At this early stage it's difficult to distinguish which are the wanted flowers and which are the pesky weeds.
My beet transplants!  These beets were over-wintered on the porch then transplanted in early spring.  I didn't know you could transplant root vegetables so this is an experience!
Early morning having my tea in my garden chair and watching the weeds flourish.
My mourning dove perched on the bath.  Everything in this yard is a balancing act.
Mountain laurel in full bloom throughout the woods.
Cliff happily has his radios set up on his sturdy bench.  He can even watch for deer out his newly washed windows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog