The only area that needed tilling this year is this strip of packed garden soil.  In early March I started mixing our kitchen compost into the clay, turning the soil a little at a time, loosening and aerating the other sections.

My father would have been proud of my little pea enclosure to keep the munching bunny from eating my tender plants before I can enjoy them.
Since we don't run to Lowe's for supplies every time we have a new project, this stay-at-home living  makes us think about what we already have on hand and how we can modify or adapt materials to our needs.  Pieces of old chicken wire fastened together and found poles worked to enclose my sweet peas.  I also coil a thick black ribbon into a snake-like position on the path.  My neighbor up the road turns bowls, fills buckets with the shavings, and brings them to me for the garden.
I think the eastern bluebird is setting up a nest in this house.  He's been seen making trips in often.

OMG!  Just saw our first male hummingbird of the season arrive at the back porch feeder!!


Tuesday morning we did a 7 am run to Ingles just to replenish a few items. Placed the bags on the back porch floor when we got home, sprayed and wiped everything before I carried things into the house.  Then packed all the plastic bags into one bag and left them on the porch floor.  Within minutes this titmouse was investigating the bags and pecking and pulling at the plastic.  I figured it was trying to shred it for nesting material. 

Our neighbor up the road made these disposable masks for us. 



 She used industrial strength paper towels, staples, and rubber bands to go behind the ears.  She wears it when grocery shopping, then removes it by the rubber band so she's not touching her face and throws it away.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog