There haven't been any posts lately because as I sit to type, the words that I want to type get smothered by emotions or the need to flee.  So I'll start by sharing some simple images from our acreage that bring me tranquility.

Over the years I've dug up these wild daisies from the slopes on Boulder Creek Road before the board has them mowed down.  The daisies also seed themselves in places throughout the woods, between rocks, and in areas so dry that I could never get anything to grow there.  I unexpectedly found this wonderful surprise behind stacked firewood in our woods. Their roots spread shallow needing very little moisture or or humans fussing with them.  They flourish just popping up in unexpected spots.  

Outside the garden fence...................

Along a path to the garden...................

Inside the garden fence near the beets and compost..................

When I come across some where they may be tread on, it's easy to loosen the roots and give them a new home by scratching the soil and covering their little feet with leaves or any soil close by.  They are survivors.

Early Saturday morning is my jaunt to the farmers market where I buy Cliff his favorite shortbread chocolate chip cookie and my meringue cookie which always crumbles when eaten.  Each week a I buy more plants from Laurel Ridge Farms.  Frances usually throws a few free plants in my boxes because she brings so many with her.  She told me that sometimes she has teenagers volunteer their time her on her farm in Brasstown but they get over zealous with the seeds and forget to label the pots.  So I got  a bunch of questionable plants yesterday, some zucchini and yellow squash.  Did some transplanting when I got home and will do more today.  If I can find more rogue daisies that need a new home, I'll transplant them along the rain trench that Cliff dug on the back slope through the woods. 

Smokin C Ranch is my "go to" stand for fresh eggs weekly. Cliff has been making his two eggs on wheat toast daily so we go through lots of farm fresh eggs. Last week I bought a large jar of thinly sliced pickles preserved with fennel, onions, and whatever else he throws in the preserve. 

 


They were awesome!  I love the fennel flavor, often use the fennel bulb in soups or just sauteed with onions.  We grew up eating Mediterranean foods as we lived near the Portuguese Club and went to their festivals.  I loved their fava beans and just started cooking them for me.  I need to grow some this year.  They produce beautiful flowers. Nona always had some welcoming aroma in her kitchen that enticed us into her cozy kitchen.

As you can tell, I miss family connections.................

John's birthday was Friday and we had a heart-warming conversation after I wished him  Happy Birthday.  He understands the tensions, the good and bad days, because of Carolyn's progressing disease.  Some days the afflicted person feels sickly and angry and if you're in the way, you get the brunt of it.  Luckily, it's the time of year I can spread my time outside puttering my garden most of the day or swinging in my hammock chair with a book on the porch. Sometimes in the evening I walk up the hill to sit with the ladies on Libby's porch with a glass of wine and humorous conversation.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog