She's the reason I take in the feeder and the suet every night around nine. If I forget, the next morning the seeds are sucked dry.  A couple of nights ago she walked across the whole length of the rail to have an early mid-night snack.  When I walked onto the porch to speak with her, she looked at me and walked back along the rail, went under the feeder, and ate the ground seeds. Neighbors to our south have reported a large bear destroying their feeders.  We haven't seen any signs........yet.  This morning at 7 I decided to throw the mat down on the porch and do yoga outside.  The temperature was a moist 68 with more rain in the forecast.  On my back in corpse pose with eyes closed, listening to the birds and Hannah's instructions from my Ipad, I began to hear pitter patter of little feet approaching me.  Hoping it wasn't a raccoon but a squirrel looking for seeds on the floor, I lifted my head to see a tiny chipmunk.  He was so stunned and frightened to see motion, he gave off a blood-curdling high pitched squeal as he zig-zagged the length of the porch and down the steps.  For such a little guy, he had heavier footsteps than I expected.

We've been hearing the seventeen-year cicadas in the distance now for about four weeks.  I read they last anywhere from four to six weeks.  They haven't bothered us or flown around us.  When we drive to Blairsville, the volume becomes louder and we see the large orange bodies flying into our windshield and from trees to trees.  

One of our neighbors all the way up Clay Durrett offered to landscape a few areas of our front yard.

This is the driver side as you pull into the driveway.  He pulled up weeds, raked and cleared dead branches away.  I had built the stone wall many years ago, put a few plants in but the plants didn't do well so I gave up.  Our neighbor dug the azaleas from the front of the house where they weren't flourishing due to lack of sunlight and transplanted them in this area. I bought shade-loving boxwoods that he put at the front of the house where the azaleas were.  He spread all new mulch and cleaned up all the old leaves. 

It's a start.  Looks clean and neat.

The chemo treatment Tuesday has been very hard on Cliff this time.  We applied for a Handicap placard last week just to use when he is dizzy, nauseous, or can't walk without holding my arm.  The oncologist set up a comparative scan for June 28 so today I drove him to Jasper, GA to pick up the Barium-sulfate banana smoothie he'll drink on the way to the scan on the 28th.  Jasper is an hour south heading towards Atlanta.  Thank goodness it's no closer than that to Atlanta.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Karen Swain said…
I didn't realize how long it had been since I last checked your blog so I had to go back and read past ones to see what was happening. I am so sorry that Cliff is having to deal with pancreatic cancer. Bob and I wish him the very best and send him our prayers. I am glad that you continuing with your blog. I can hear your pain and heartbreak in your written words. it has to be cathartic to put those feelings into words.

It sounds like you both have a good support system and I am glad that you are not neglecting your physical and mental health. Its is so easy to do that in times of stress.

Take care "old" friend!

Popular posts from this blog