The Almanac says we're in for a cold, wet, slushy winter. Judging by the number of acorns dropped on the porch and in the driveway, I can believe it's going to be a challenging winter.  The deer have eaten everything in sight.  Many a morning their movements trigger the front porch flood light so I can watch the four-point buck, the doe and their two fawns slowly wandering from parsley to lettuce, still blooming flowers nibbling plants down the soil.  They even eat plants that they don't like.  So far the sage, lemon balm,and rosemary still exists.  I placed a wire cage over the lettuce, Swiss chard, and kale.  This is the first year I didn't plant garlic in October.  I really have been giving up some of the adventures I get myself into so I have more time to do what's necessary here.  Once the consistently freezing nights arrive, anything that can't survive the winter will die and no covering with plastic for protection.  More letting go.  Last week I received my garden soil analysis results.  The soil has an abundance of lime, potassium, and phosphorus so all it needs is nitrogen at the time of planting.  So glad I had it tested because four or five people kept advising me to throw in lime.  Now I can allow the garden to rest all winter and I will take the winter off from outside gardening.  I'll just bring in the house plants back in before the freeze.  

We saw the oncologist last Thursday for Cliff's four-week follow-up.  Don't have the marker results yet. Of course Cliff's energy level is less and fewer foods appeal to him.  Emotionally it's difficult for him.  Sometimes when I walk the park, he'll do his loop which is good for his muscles.  The doc recommended he try to walk or move more because sitting begets more sitting.  In our conversation, I asked the doctor if it would be beneficial to make up nutritional shakes some days but he said that Cliff will eat what appeals to him.  So I said to the doc..... "I should back off and let him tell me what he needs?"  "Yes." with his handsome smile............. 

The 2022 U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree was harvested from the Pisgah National Forest on Nov. 2 and was prepared for travel kicking off today, Nov. 5 in Fletcher, NC.  Tomorrow, Sunday, Nov. 6 the tree will arrive in Murphy and can be seen from 1 pm to 3 pm at the Cherokee County Courthouse before moving onto the Christmas Tree Tour making way to Nov. 18 delivery to the West Lawn, U.S. Capitol Building.  We'll head to town tomorrow and see it's arrival.  The streets will be blocked off to traffic for the couple of hours.  I'll try to get where Cliff can walk and bring a folding chair.  You can follow the route www.usacapitolchristmastree.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog