HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

Nona and Nono


Happy Mother's Day with with endearing memories of Nona, my Mother, and Grandma Still.

I was at a loss for words, (imagine!) didn't know what else to write in my tribute to these three very important women in my life until I read a "forward" from my sister-in-law, Maryellen. How serendipitous. During the era when these women cared for their homes and families, aprons were donned each morning to start the day. Nona wore three aprons, one atop another. The first one to protect her dress, the middle to protect the first, and the third one to catch the flour dust as she made her own pasta on the large wooden board in her kitchen. Her apron also flapped at the crows and other garden invaders as she yelled "brigande!!! Their aprons carried vegetables from their gardens to the kitchen sinks. Aprons wiped tears when children needed consoling, carried eggs in from the chicken coops, and on Sunday and holiday gatherings when a fancier apron was worn, dinner was proudly served. Grandma Still and my Mother sewed and donated hundreds of aprons in their lifetime for the church fairs each fall. Aprons......warm, loving memories...................

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to my family and friends.

Comments

ralph said…
happy mother's day! love the old photos. i have some apron patterns, but never get to sew anymore. i don't know how they did it all back in the olden days!

Popular posts from this blog