It was 75 degrees and humid when I awoke to the sound of a cat barfing at 4:30 AM. I got up to look for the little wet piles so we wouldn't be surprised later but couldn't find them anywhere........ have been awake since then. This will be like the Easter egg hunt when Retta, Chip, and I were little kids and our Mother hid the candy eggs so well, we were finding them days later. Made my coffee and sat on the porch for awhile......no breeze, no bird songs.........just a few coyotes barking up in the hills.

Picked as few more zucchini and six summer squash yesterday. Those plants are just about worn out. Cucumbers are not longer producing, vines are dried up and parched. We have about five cantaloupe still growing. I turn them every couple of days and expose the undersides to the sun to prevent the bottoms from rotting. Cliff picked another couple of servings of green beans and a few tomatoes. Tomatoes are struggling to survive in this heat. Sweet potato vines are still green. I'm anxious to see how they are developing in the soil. We'll gently dig this morning and check their growth. One of the farmers here told Cliff the other day that his potatoes are rotting in the soil due to the weather.

I went to the farmers' market in town yesterday and bought an orange/yellow heirloom tomato. It weighs 1.5 lbs and has a 5.5 inch diameter! Also bought a homemade cream cheese blueberry loaf cake. Stopped and chatted with my relish/jam lady and bought zucchini relish for Cliff's hot dogs. I still haven't attempted to make my Mother's zucchini relish yet. A friend up the mountain does lots of canning and preserving so will bring her some of the 2,837 zucchini and cucumbers we've picked lately!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog