Things are not always as they seem.  I usually share only what I want you to see but tonight......the truth. 


 Straight and crookneck squash still thriving.  Evidently the leaves do not appeal to insect nor beast.

 Tomato plants are as tall as I am.  I pinched the plants earlier in their youth so the energy would be in the flowers and tomatoes but the plants keep growing taller. 
Used pellets when the beer didn't work and that seemed to stop the snails and slugs.  I made a miso soup and a kielbasi soup last week with the first harvesting of cabbage.  Have six red cabbage left.

 Out of 30 corn stalks, I only have 6 thriving.  Some little varmint is chomping them when I turn my back.

I think the bunnies are staying up late and visiting the garden in the dark.  
 sweet potato before
 sweet potato after
Not sure if this was a bunny nibble or a deer salad.

These used to be green and yellow beans.  Guess we'll be buying frozen beans at Ingles this fall.
fresh beets

Things that are accidents, discarded or neglected plants, and volunteer plants grow the best.  A few weeks ago the bag of beans was damp and the beans fell out into the pile of mushroom mulch which is in the shade.  I ignored them and tended to the garden.  These beans are thriving and as of this afternoon, still had leaves.  The night creatures and the insects haven't devoured the tender plants yet.  Maybe I will have a few beans.

Comments

ralph said…
what a great yield, despite the animals. we've gotten 7 cucumbers and one tomato and five potatoes (about the size of quarters). good thing we have farmer's markets near by!

Popular posts from this blog