Mountain mornings are foggy and warm now but we still turn off the A/C and open doors and windows when we get up.  Our temperature was 63 degrees at 6 AM but some places around Chattanooga, TN (where we get our news) stayed around 76 all night.

Last week I dropped by Twice Upon a Time to see if Shakespeare was sleeping among the books in the front window of the store or greeting customers with his skinny tail erect as a flagpole.  I found bookcases nearly emptied, boxes of merchandise staged by the door, and anything left on shelves or the counter was marked down for quick sale.   The owner opened this store about the same time we purchased our home in 2007, but with the popularity of e-books and kindle, the store struggled to keep up with the times.  For months the possibility of closing the doors haunted her.  The owner told me that she enjoyed the smell of new books as she unpacked orders and displayed them at the front of the shop, book reviews and customer conversation when they brought used books in for credit toward more books, and happy chatter from children when they headed into their book room.  Shakespeare now resides with her at home and probably wonders where all his friends have gone.

Another local business is closing its door due to the poor economy.  Grant Furniture is selling its inventory for half-price.  Last week we drove out to Marble after our almost-newly-retired friends, Pat and Larry, noticed the "going-out-of-business" sign on this family run business.  Pat and Larry recently purchased their retirement home in Marble and will homestead there as of their July retirement.  The two pieces I bought will give me more storage space.  Not sure how I want to finish them so I've been researching online and still have many months of good weather ahead......no hurry. 
Maxine immediately inspected this unit for mice.  I'll be able to store my sewing projects and shoe boxes full of important "stuff" on these shelves.  In the winter, a few plants will enjoy the sun from this southern window.

Right now this piece is in the kitchen hiding stacks of recipe collections and other clutter that sat on the butcher block island making it impossible to knead bread or roll pie crusts.  I spent more time relocating projects and recipes to another spot so I could use the island whenever I wanted to cook.  We'll see how long it takes before I clutter up the island again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog