Many years ago........... many, many years ago when I was an adolescent, I had a place in the woods that comforted me when the world didn't go my way.  The walk took me along the Assabet River, past the Portuguese Club, continued again along the river and lead me into the woods where I came to a huge boulder jutting out of a sloping hill.  It was here that I positioned myself on top of the rock and contemplated life.  I would have lived out there if I could have.  Must be why I fell in love year after year with My Side of the Mountain when we read Jean Craighead George's novel in 5th grade.  Sunday after working in the garden, I put on my high rubber boots and headed down our back hill through the thicket and tangles with clippers and camera in hand.  I've been down to the water many times before but this time intended to trim and clip some of the wild rhododendrons allowing better access to the creek. Before the woods fill in, it's easier to get down and back up again.  From the garden, the walk looks like a piece of cake until you get half-way down where it drops steeply.  With the summer growth, a walker can't see the animal dens and holes in the ground so I tried to cut a good walking path.  I think the next time I go down I'll mark the trees with cloth ties. 



The creek is hidden behind the rhododendrons.  I clipped some of these branches back and removed a lot of dead wood.
Soon the stream will be enclosed by a cool canopy.  The only sounds heard were birds in the thicket and water rushing over mossy rocks.  In summer the sun hits the creek just right through the bushes and sparkling waters dance for my entertainment.
Going down was the easy part.  I could always trip and roll between trees on the way down.  The summer growth will bring wild grape vines, blackberry tangles, and other sharp prickly growths. Climbing back up was an adventure in itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog