Some of the benefits of having a warm wet winter.
The dogwoods lasted longer and were showier than other years.

I discovered this deep orange wild azalea blossomed at the west edge of the garden.  We have another with  softer orange blossoms near the back porch and another deep orange nestled in the woods.  I don't remember seeing the deep ones show off last year.  I'd like to root a couple shoots and plant them closer to the house. 
This morning around 6:45, when I stepped out the door with my coffee, I was buzzed by the male hummingbird.  Evidently, he had been feeding and I disturbed him.
 He was feeding here this morning.
These are the greatest little feeders.  I'll get more of these to place in the other window boxes and potted plants.
Lettuce is doing well.....so far.  More snails in the garden this year.  Deer haven't feasted on my salad yet. 
Red Russian kale..........frilly leaves......
fava bean

I found a recipe for a homemade deer, rabbit, and insect deterrent.  It has a pungent smell and I can make it with a soapy solution or an egg mixture to help it adhere to the leaves and stems.  It lasts a couple of weeks unless we have a heavy rain.  I put the recipe under my recipe tab.  I've seen more snails so far this growing season so may resort to my "dollar beer night special" as I did last year.  Wish I had night-vision goggles to see which of my forest animals belly up to the beer cups and consume all the Bud Light.  Being surrounded by nature is very entertaining.

Comments

ralph said…
ducks LOVE slugs!! i will ship you some of mine! :)

great photos! and maybe if you got a higher quality beer, you'd have more drunk wildlife... just saying...

Popular posts from this blog