Two trips to the garden this morning..................
The Amish Paste tomatoes are starting to come in.  They're best for spaghetti sauce or home-made tomato paste.  This year I harvest as the tomatoes begin their color so nothing can eat them before I get them picked.  A few people I know here have told me the crows are eating their tomatoes.  We have 25 lb crows but they haven't touched my crop yet.  After I brought up the first bowl of cucumbers and tomatoes, I returned to the garden with my camera to get pictures of the beautiful winter squash blossoms and found the cherry tomatoes ripening under the large gourd and squash leaves.  I didn't have a container to carry them back in so I put them in my front capri pockets and found another cucumber, which went in a back pocket.  I've done this before, forgotten that I had tomatoes in my pocket, and ended up with juice leaking down my leg.  So this time I mindfully  walked back to the house, took careful steps up the porch but when I went to get the little cherries and cucumber out of my pocket without squeezing or squashing them, I couldn't because they were packed too tight.  They only way to take everything out was to remove the capris and dump the vegetables into a bowl.  When I was a little girl, I remember Nona used to gather her harvest by holding the corners of her apron and filling the pouch with the vegetables.  With all the aprons I've made, I never thought about making myself a garden apron.  That's my project for today.
                                                  gourd
                                               winter squash
                                                squash blossoms
                                               mustard greens
                                            gourd blossom, soft like brushed cotton

Kitchen cabinet update...............

Couldn't remember if I had posted the finished kitchen.  Went back and reread previous posts and didn't see that I did.  Don't want to repeat myself.  That's what old people do! Knobs are on.  Still have a few draw handles to put on but it's looking good.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog