Happy Birthday to me...........

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." ~ The Dalai Lama

Sixty-four years ago today, I was welcomed onto this earth by my father, my mother, and my 4-year old brother. Two years later, we welcomed my sister into the family. We grew up in a neighborhood where people watched out for each other and we were free to play hide-and-go-seek and run through the fields without worry or concern. Our elementary school had four classrooms and was within walking distance from our home. Just before I turned down Linden Street to school, I walked by a small store. Once a week my mother put a quarter in our school savings envelope that was given to the teachers then placed into our little savings account with the Hudson Savings Bank. Some weeks that quarter never made it to my account. That quarter slid out of the corner of the sealed envelope and bought me some penny candies from the store. It was worth getting into hot water. And every birthday, as my mother frosted the chocolate cake, I begged her to pile the frosting at least 3 inches high. Life is sweet. Family is precious.

Comments

ralph said…
hope you have a very happy day and you don't have to run down any dog walkers. :)

happy birthday!!!!

love from hayden, sofia, grant, olivia, jim and lauria. (and some day, ning yuan)

Popular posts from this blog