I put out two hummingbird feeders on Wednesday and made up the first batch of nectar.  On 3/27 a male was reported only 93 miles from us in Hoschton, GA and another east of us in Asheville, NC.  They're on their way and I wanted to make sure the "travelers" had food for their journey north.  Last Saturday I hung a gourd birdhouse that I had quickly carved out.

Shortly after hanging the gourd a chickadee went in and looked around.  There were still gourd seeds in the house and he worked like a mule getting those seeds out.  Sunday I hung a cedar house and within minutes two chickadees were hopping from branch to branch checking out the real estate.  Haven't seen any commotion near the purchased cedar house but there's always noise coming from inside the gourd.  Whenever I go to the garden or empty my kitchen compost bucket, the gourd is rocking and there's a tapping noise coming from it.  I'm wondering if the chickadee is remodeling the inside for his family.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog