It's been raining acorns.  Winds from hurricane Matthew caused showers of acorns but no rain.  Can't remember the last time we had any rain.  It's been months.  The oak tree that canopies our porch was  full this year.  After gusts from Matthew died down, Cliff used the leaf blower to clean the porch figuring most of the acorns from the big oak were on the porch........but the dropping continues.  A barrage of pounding, then silence, so I sweep.  I find comfort in the sweeping.  The to and fro dance with the broom like my grandmother and my mother sweeping their porches.  Grandma Still had an old rocking chair among the other chairs on her rustic front porch.  Adirondack chairs and a bench beckoned friends and family to sit awhile on my parents porch.  So with a comforting rhythm I sweep our porch four and five times a day.  Folklore says a thicker acorn shell means a colder winter and an abundance means a cold wet winter.  The Farmers Almanac reports we're in for a cold wet winter.  Sometimes I stir in my sleep and hear acorns bouncing on the porch floor. I know by the familiar sound that it's acorns and not a bear traipsing around.

 Cliff is in Florida with friends for eight days at Biketoberfest.  Some places are still without power and he's seen some of our old hangouts that have been destroyed by the hurricane. I was invited to go but didn't have any desire to be in Daytona in the traffic and fray.  I'm quite content on my quiet mountain with the leaves drifting like feathers in a breeze and sweeping the acorns off the porch. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog