Where is that gang of squirrels from the hood when you need them?  We've been squirrel-less this spring and summer.  They weren't around to yell at or throw blame at for things happening our woods.  And now when I need them to gather acorns in their cheeks, carry them off to their storage holes in trees or where ever acorns are hoarded, the annoying pests are absent again.  Even without a breeze, we can expect hundreds of acorn drops daily.  I sweep three to four times each day, mostly because acorns are painful to step on with bare feet and sweeping prevents leaves and broken acorn  morsels from being traipsed into the kitchen.
This one mighty oak shading our side porch is the culprit.  We're thinking maybe most of the acorns have fallen as today was quiet and the porch is still fairly clean.

This afternoon after returning from my Zumba and toning classes, it was time to tackle the two kabocha squashes from my CSA deliveries.

The kabocha is a fascinating squat squash with a dull green finish and a knobby hard skin.  I've labeled the other one kabocha too as it has a lot of the same characteristics as the green one. I watched a youtube on the best and easiest way to cut and bake them without peeling.
 Cut in half using a large knife and scoop out the seeds.
 Rub some olive oil on the edges and drizzle a little maple syrup inside.  Turn them over and place on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
                                                      Image result for voila


I'll freeze them until I decide what to do.  I did find a kabocha squash cake with brown sugar cream recipe that sounds delightful.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog