Many years ago, maybe thirty-two years ago, when Mark was around thirteen and wasn't sure he wanted to be seen with his mother anymore, especially in a Publix supermarket where his friends could also be seen with their mothers, he would covertly flip through magazine pages as I stood in the check-out line.  Using my time efficiently in line, I usually struck up a conversation with the person in front or in back of me.  Standing in line during busy hours or getting behind shoppers with overloaded carts, I found friendly conversation with people made the wait tolerable.  By this time, Mark's face was totally buried in a magazine.  On the way out to our car, he would ask who the people were that I was talking with in line.  When I told him I didn't know them but took the opportunity to make a dreaded experience tolerable, he just shook his head.  He continued accompanying me to the store, even proudly drove me once he had his drivers license realizing that I was going to talk my way through the shopping list. 

Mark came to mind today when I ran into Ingles to "pick up a few items on the list" while Cliff sat in his truck in the parking lot.  In the produce section while bagging some fresh beets, fresh greens, and sweet potatoes, Andy, who works in produce, asked how my winter garden was going.  Andy and I swap gardening stories every visit in the produce section.  Sometimes it takes me fifteen minutes just to get through produce.  While ordering Cliff's Lacy Swiss low-salt cheese at the deli, I usually see someone from the gym and it would be rude not to talk.  Today also at the deli, free bread samples were offered.  When I thanked the lady but told her I gave up eating gluten five years ago, she told me about her husband having cancer and how their doctor recommended eating a vegetarian diet for his health.  We talked for another ten minutes or so.  I got through the frozen foods and the dairy section okay but then ran into another yogi in the wine aisle.  Checkout rarely goes smoothly.  I somehow get in the wrong line behind someone who needs cigarettes or a price check.  Mark would have been proud of me today because I didn't strike up a "pass-the-time-conversation" in line.  Meanwhile Cliff sat patiently in the truck while I ran in to "picked up a few items on the list."  Our morning temperature was low 30's and it took most of the morning for the fog to clear.  The sun finally broke through before noon but the air felt cold all day.  One of the items I shopped for was whole milk.  This afternoon while Cliff napped I made a hearty potato soup with Andouille sausage and a double batch of his favorite tapioca pudding.  Thought of you today, Louise!


 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog