The last couple of days have been glorious, low 70's and breezy.  Yesterday we washed the winter off the kitchen window.  Wasn't going to wash any windows until after Cliff did his spring pressure washing, but that window was pretty grubby and I spend a lot of time in my kitchen enjoying the view.  Hung a load of laundry out on the lines and on the wooden drier on the back porch.  This drives a couple of our neighbors crazy. 
 Yes.....that's an appliance out on the back of our North Carolina porch along side of the clean laundry.  We acquired the little freezer from a dear friend, put it in the kitchen, only to hear popping and crackling noises a few days after filling it with frozen foods.  Cliff noticed the compressor running extremely warm so the freezer is out until we find out what's happening.  I think we still have room for a sofa and recliner on the porch.
It was so warm and breezy yesterday, even the jeans dried in a couple of hours.  We haven't built a better clothesline because we hope in the very near future to be building our garage and we're not sure where things need to be placed.

Transplanted my tomatoes yesterday into cut-off milk cartons.  After thinning them, I still have 16 tomatoes.......varieties I've never tried, like Amish Paste,Caspian Pink, Koralik, Black Krim, and Thessaloniki.  Turned over the compost pile again ........looks good and rich.  With this early warm weather, it feels like planting time, but I'll wait a little longer before putting in the potatoes, kale, chard, spinach, and peas.  Onions and garlic grew all winter and I did just put in two new rhubarb stalks.  Some animal dug up one of the stalks one night so I check each morning to see if I need to cover them again. 

Yesterday was so energizing.  I made a chicken pot pie that uses barley instead of potatoes and phyllo dough in place of a shortening crust.  The recipe directions were to make individual servings in ramekins but I'm fresh out of ramekins so made one whole pie in a glass baking dish.  Working with phyllo dough makes me anxious because it's tricky and you have to work quickly so the dough doesn't dry out. 

Turned out amazingly good.  Cliff said it's a keeper. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog