Happy Birthday, Olivia

Three years ago today, Olivia greeted the world and she's been a ball of energy ever since. The day was so cold with a bitter cutting wind.  Each time we went to visit Lauria and Olivia at the hospital, Hayden, Sofia, and Grant shivered and cringed as we ran across the parking lot.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, OLIVIA!!!

 Punxsutawney Phil is predicting six more weeks of winter but we won't mind if it's six more weeks like we've been having.  Farmer's Almanac says we'll have a couple of short wet-snow periods then back to the mild weather.  Our clay is so wet, I'm not sure when I can set my potatoes..............will have to talk to our local farmers and see what they advise.  Got my first seed order in the mail a few days ago............exciting!!
I'll start the tomato seeds in the house in the next few days and leave them in the south window.  A first time try for me is the Broad Windsor Fava Bean.  When we were children, my father used to walk us down our road, onto a dirt road with woods on one side and a pasture with bulls and cows on the other side, along the Assabet River to the Portuguese Club.  I always feared the bulls would start snorting like they do in cartoons and charge at me even though I made sure I wasn't wearing red.  During the Portuguese festivals, such as Our Lady of Fatima, the Portuguese Club played festive music, men competed in bocce, and wonderful foods were served, my favorite being fava beans.  If I'm successful with growing them, I'll prepare them as the Portuguese do...................and I know a great Portuguese cook!  This first batch of seeds came from a small family farm that uses natural methods of keeping pests and diseases away and seeds are GMO free.  I have another list to try from Baker Creek, which has an overwhelming variety of seeds and is an education in itself just reading the descriptions and the origins of some of their seeds.

Yesterday our temperature reached 67 up here on the mountain.  The house plants went out on the porch as soon as the temp reached mid 40's and were able to stay until suppertime.  Even with this mild winter weather, I haven't seen any insects, other than ants climbing on the pieces of old orange and apple placed out for the possum's midnight snack..............until the other day when I was walking up the hill from the compost pile, not talking to anyone, just breathing........... a bug found an opening between my lips and made his way to the back of my throat.  UGH! Gag! Cough and spit!  What are the odds.....................

Comments

Popular posts from this blog