The mysteries of the night intrigue me.  Since retiring and moving here, I've often wondered what roams our woods in the wee dark hours and walks the porch while we sleep.  Some nights when we hear the creak of a board or the soft patter of feet on the porch, we figure it's probably a possum on its way to the recycle box to lick the last tiny bit of missed spaghetti sauce from a quickly rinsed jar.  Just recently, we were both awakened from a sound sleep during the dark of night to the sound of animals running back and forth along the back porch.  The sounds weren't dense thuds so neither of us got up to investigate.  If I had heard growling or furniture being tossed, I would have given up my comfort and flipped on the porch lights.  Not having any measurable snow this year, I wasn't able to track the night visitors.

     Often when we are out and about doing errands and Cliff stops to chat with his favorite people, anyone associated with fire/rescue/EMT personnel, I know I'm in for the long haul.  I've begun to use this time to become familiar with my cell phone.  I've discovered I can find what time it is in Alma-ata or Helsinki, take and store useless pictures, change my ringtones and set specific ringtones to identify callers, set the stop watch to see how long I've been sitting out in the car alone, and put important dates in the calendar.  For today, March 17, I cleverly entered a 5 o'clock dinner at Pat and Larry's with a reminder 15 minutes before the activity.  This morning I was rudely awakened from a very peaceful sleep by my cell phone.  Digging through the many compartments I finally located the annoying noise and flipped open the phone expecting to find a wrong number, but instead read my reminder at 4:45 AM to attend Pat and Larry's St. Patrick's Day dinner at 5 o'clock.  I'll remember to pay attention to the AM/PM next time I program any activity.  Now wide awake after fumbling through my purse to answer the phone, I started my coffeemaker then quietly went out to the porch to listen for the rustling of leaves or the howl of coyotes up in the hills.  Aaah.......the mysteries of the night intrigue me...........
    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog