Still no hummingbird sightings to report.  Added another hummingbird attracting plant to the porch yesterday and made a new brew of nectar.  This time of year I use 1/3 cup of sugar to one cup of water.  The tired little birds need an extra jolt of sweet in their juice.   

Last week after the garden was tilled, I put in more than 40 seed potatoes then relaxed in my garden chair to watch them grow.  From the wicker chair view, it looked like I still had plenty of space to put in more potatoes so the next day I drove to Wayne's and bought about another 5 pounds.  Now I have Yukon Gold, Maine Kennebec, and Reds.  These shoulder and arm muscles have been on winter break.  I thought between yoga, the kettle bell, and the 10 lb weights off and on during the winter, I'd be ready for my garden when spring came.  Not so.  That night after hoeing, digging, clearing more large rocks out, bending over to put in the seed potatoes, then covering them, I finally was able to stand erect again but my shoulders and biceps were starting to complain, quite loudly.  My friend, Linda, (massage therapist and RN), told me when inflammation starts to set in, do ice for 15 mins, heat for 15, then repeat, apply Sombra on all the aching muscles, and take Motrin.  While watching NCIS, I did as she said (for once) and was totally astounded when in the morning I awoke without any reminders that I had overdone my first time returning to the garden.  I was elated.  This is good and bad, because I will probably overdo again at some time figuring I have it all under control.  Since I got it under control, last Thursday, I planted two kinds of spinach, kale, three kinds of lettuce, parsley, and Swiss chard.  Yesterday the European Mesclun, buttercrunch, and red leaf were up.
Mesclun
buttercrunch
red leaf

See the difference?????

Cliff helped me make the bamboo tipi for the peas and cucumbers.  Peas and fava beans will soak overnight and be planted tomorrow.  Cucumbers get planted later.  Favas don't need to trellis.  I'm trying new veggies this year and doing some raised beds.
Soil isn't ready yet, still needs some work and pounds of mountain rock removed.  
garlic and rhubarb
Will my rhubarb taste garlicky?
Something is eating the rhubarb leaves, probably some kind of leaf miner.
Why aren't the birds down in my garden eating the pests?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog