Fall is a time for transition.  Trees and shrubs quietly undress preparing for winter.  There's a subtle browning of the earth and the intense heat of summer dwindles with a hint of autumn crispness in the early morning air.   Plants are storing energy in their roots for the approaching winter months. Farmers markets display beets, carrots, and other root vegetables along with fall greens such as kale and mustard greens.  A few weeks ago we bought a North Georgia Candy Roaster squash at our farmers market.

Last year when I saw these beauties at the market, I couldn't imagine trying to peel and cook something that large so never bought one.  This year I researched different ways to cook them and talked to the farmer about the most efficient way to bake and preserve the meat for freezing.  



Cleaning took place on the porch so I could brush the stray seeds  into the woods.


Cliff cut the pieces for me.  I wanted to use the sawzall but he just used a large kitchen knife. Wasn't sure I could fit all the pieces into the oven.  


Brushed with olive oil, they baked for about an hour all together.  After 40 minutes, I kept checking for doneness. I didn't drizzle maple syrup because they are already sweet and I didn't know if they needed more.  Next year I'll do the syrup.  And next year we'll cut the squash into smaller pieces for shorter baking time.  Once they cooled enough to handle, Cliff and I scooped out the softened meat and put it in six freezer containers.

I know, you only count four.  Two were already stored.  The squash has a delightfully sweet flavor and should last us most of the winter.  

Halloween is our last farmers market for the season.  Weather has been mild with only one early Saturday morning in the thirties.  We'll miss our jaunt to market when it closes. I've been able to buy fresh free-range eggs, goat cheeses, raw honey, and gluten-free scones and treats that I don't make at home.  Masks are required, even though it's all outside, and the majority of customers do wear them. I've been comfortable wandering through the market browsing and speaking with farmers.  


 I enjoy cooking Mediterranean recipes and since I can't grow fennel, I buy one or two every other week for soups or sauteed veggies.  Fresh celery is so much tastier than store bought and with all the rocks in our garden, I can't grow carrots.  So with the market coming to an end, I've been freezing what I can for winter.  Beets, carrots, sweet and white potatoes and squashes store well.  

You can teach an old "dog" new tricks.  I just found out how to store fresh garden celery so it'll last for weeks.  Enclose it in tinfoil like it's a pita sandwich and keep it in the crisper.  The tin foil holds in moisture that it needs.  Now, try to fit that into your crisper.  

Cliff has been busy blowing leaves daily down the driveway as far as he can into the woods.  It's just been the past week that enough leaves have fallen to cover the ground.  In expectation of heavy rains Wednesday and Thursday from fast moving Hurricane Zeta, he's tried to blow as much as he could before they become rain drenched.  I love my little "Tonka" leaf blower because I can clean the porch three or four times a day keeping the leaves from being tracked into the house.

The kitchen door finally got painted after talking about it for the past five or six years.  The paint's been setting on a shelf for a couple of years waiting to be opened.  I think I dreaded it because I was afraid I'd mess up the door with visible brush strokes and didn't have confidence in a small roller.  Thought it may look rolled.  Anyway,  I started painting one day this week and could see the brush strokes.  Cliff decided I shouldn't be using my hands and wrists in repetitive movements so he tried the small roller and I saw tiny bubbles, but as the paint dried ,bubbles disappeared and the door looks great!

Today reached 73 degrees. It's been a wonderful fall so far.  The early morning temperatures have been too warm for fall this past week, staying high fifties to low sixties and humid.  I enjoy the crisper mornings.  A wonderful start to the day.  

 

 





lllll


ll

Comments

Popular posts from this blog