7/12 market day

I woke at 4:30, not able to return to a sleep-state.  Made my Kona coffee and read til Cliff woke around 6.  We packed the cooler with ice for our watermelon/cantalope snack and all the produce, frozen chicken, grass-fed beef, eggs, and whatever else I would buy from the farmers.  The last of my garden beets were consumed this past week so I bought a huge bunch from Three Bird Farm, some broccoli sprouts, from another farmer, and squash, zucchini, Swiss chard, tomatoes from Candy Mountain and  zucchini and blueberry/strawberry muffins and a loaf of peasant bread from their son, Eric.  Donna, my goat cheese farmer, was set up in Hayesville this week so couldn't get my Cowboy Candy or Kickin' Cajun goat cheese.  Hayesville, down the road apiece, held a two-day market event which took some of our visitors from Murphy.   Also stuffed a dozen eggs, frozen free-range chicken, and two pounds of grass-fed beef into the cooler.  I really needed a refrigerator this week. 

The morning started slowly but by 11, my crafts were selling.  Each market day is so different, so full of surprises.  I sold aprons that haven't appealed to anyone on other Saturdays but caught the attention of visitors that morning.  A young couple walked by and spotted an apron their granny would love.  One lady put a soft denim bucket hat on, looked at herself in the mirror, admired how relaxed she looked, and bought it!  The plastic recycle hanging bags always do well.  People stop and talk and volunteer all kinds of unexpected information at a farmers market.  The atmosphere brings strolling families with their dogs and visitors enjoying a relaxed pace.  What started as a slow morning, picked up and continued until we packed at 1 pm and went home.

I am truly impressed with the 11-year old girl beside our tent who comes with her mother weekly.  Rachael designs and hammers her copper jewelry at the market.  This week her daughter hung her new tie-die creations, which sold quickly.



Rachael purchases thrift store clothes, hands them over to her daughter, and allows her to do her magic. 

Later that afternoon, I ran to Walmart, bought another $60 worth of fabric to build up my inventory this week.  I'm also going to add soothing eye pillows with a lavender scent and some bean bags for children.

I cooked up the all the fresh beet greens with lots of music garlic, olive oil, and hot pepper flakes, baked cod with milk and onions, and cut the peasant bread for our supper.  You can probably feel my energy in this post.  I called my doc this week and asked for a prescription to help get this inflammation under control as the pain was so exhausting.  I'm sleeping my normal 7 hours and not popping Motrin until bedtime.  I'm also eliminating foods that contribute to inflammation with autoimmune diseases.  It's a work in progress, but if I plan to live to be 100 and drive my children crazy,  the works starts now. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog