This afternoon I returned from a quick trip to Ingles, (I had a hankering for cantaloupe, strawberries, and watermelon), lifted up the hatch on the Kia and loaded up my arms with the grocery bags.  From the garage I have a clear view of my vegetable garden.  Looking up at me from the potato patch was a doe and her tiny fawn.  Her gaze fixed on me and neck so telescoped, the doe became a giraffe.  So there I am with my arms full of bulky melon bags not wanting to startle mother and baby and enjoying the stare down.  Standing perfectly still for what seemed like an eternity, I decided to shut my eyes in hopes she wouldn't feel threatened if she didn't see the big orbs staring back at her and her baby.  Minutes later I sneaked a peek from my left eye but she was still staring at me.  This game went on for about five minutes.  Now I wanted to see if I could outlast her.  Suddenly she seemed to get a whiff of human scent as her nose scanned the air.   She signaled her fawn with her white tail and in an instant, both were out of my sight. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog