My Side of the Mountain

After working out this morning, I went to Wayne's Feed and Grain and bought two "scoops" of mushroom mulch for the garden.  Cliff had an EMS class so when he arrived home we tackled the garden chores.  My parents always had a wonderful garden but I never paid attention to the work that they put into it.  To me, it was a hideaway......... I could hide between the corn stalks, peel and eat cabbage leaves, pull up fresh carrots and nibble like Bugs Bunny, living in a natural world of make-believe.  Rhubarb leaves became high-fashioned hats.  Dandelion stems inserted into each other became necklaces and bracelets.  Our garden was a great place for hide-n-seek, especially, as the sun set.

We broadcast the lime first.  Cliff emptied between 18-21 wheelbarrow loads of mushroom mulch down to the garden.  I raked the mulch and mixed it into the tilled clay, constantly pitching roots and rocks into the woods.
He had a EMS call part way through the chore so I took a break and waited for him to return.
Yesterday I brought my old wicker chair down from the porch.  The garden is actually a very peaceful place to be.  It's meditative and reposeful.  It removes me from the world.
My view from the wicker chair.  Soon these woods will be lush and green and I'm hoping to catch a glimpse of the deer passing through while I work in the garden.  Yesterday I hiked all the way down into the deep woods to the creek where the deer walk.  With the recent rain, the creek is loud and flowing rapidly.  Another 2 inches of rain is expected Wednesday.  After the rain, I'll start planting potatoes, spinach, and beans and whatever the farmers tell me I can safely plant.

Tried another new recipe tonight..........shrimp with a kiwi salsa.  The picture of the shrimp with the kiwi was what made me give it a try.  It looked wonderful and refreshing but wasn't what our palates wanted.  The page is crumbled and in the trash tonight. 

We're pooped tonight but feeling accomplished......................

Comments

Popular posts from this blog