Family Photos

It's been about a week since I've posted because this is the most exciting news I have................

one onion popped up today and waved at me.

Other members of the garden family

the sweet pea toddlers lined up nicely in a row

 a few radishes thriving among the millions of rocks

 last year's parsley

Last spring a friend from station 25 gave us an empty pickle barrel which Cliff halved with the sawzall so we could do some container gardening.  This one was placed near the front porch and we grew Italian parsley and rosemary.  The cold winter arrived and 2 ft of snow covered both herbs.  The rosemary couldn't tolerate the winter and I thought the parsley was finished, too, but during the unusually warm early March temperatures, the parsley perked up and grew new crisp leaves.  This is about a month's growth!  I couldn't believe it.  The rosemary in the front garden looks like it's generating new growth, too.  Now I'm wondering if the rosemary from the pickle barrel was just playing possum.  I tossed it into the woods somewhere and it's probably beginning to grow again.  Anytime I think a plant isn't thriving, I pluck it from the garden and toss it into the woods and most times the discarded plant does better when ignored than fussed over in a garden. 

We have had days and days of rain.  The plastic rain gauge is cracked so we're not sure but we must have had at least 4 inches.  The roaring creek can be heard from the porch again and the rivers are almost up to their banks.  I haven't seen any sign of the potatoes yet.  Wondering if they are rotting with so much rain.  Cloudy days and more moisture is predicted all week.  

Have been watching the ads for sales on refrigerators.  The one that came with this house was small and so loud, it violated Murphy's noise ordinance.  We heard it running constantly and the ice-maker clanged, banged, and shot the ice to the opposite sides of the freezer with deadly force.  I almost bought a stainless steel but prefer the white because it keeps the kitchen bright and open.  The bottom freezer is very roomy.  We love this Samsung model. When the veggies start coming in all at once, I'll have more room to freeze them than in the old one. 

Comments

ralph said…
i have fridge envy. :(

Popular posts from this blog