Trees in bloom.......... on the way to Ingles Supermarket.

Daffodils and jonquils are popping up everywhere........a little earlier than normal.  No predictions of a last "blizzard" yet, but we can't let our guard down.  Temperatures have been 66-70 degrees by 3 pm and the potted plants have been enjoying the porch.  Maxine and I sit on the side porch most afternoons and read.  I've been down in the garden picking more rock and roots from the soil and will add lime to the garden after Cliff returns home. I don't remember if my parents planted by moon phases but Barb says you produce better crops so I'll try it.

I got to the gym earlier than usual this morning...... around 8:45......just in time to try the Zumba class with Rebecca.  Some days it's so routine to do the elliptical for 30 minutes then work upper or lower body that I find it humdrum....boring.  I especially miss my Monday and Friday Yoga class with Susan so today I jumped in the Zumba class for an hour.  It was non-stop dancing movement for 1 hour to exotic drum pounding music.  You couldn't get bored with this aerobic exercise.  The class before Zumba is Boot Camp.  I wonder if I could last the hour...........my next challenge.

Found another great recipe that smells and looks as good as it tastes.  It's meatless and made with white beans.....a favorite dish from northern Italy.

TUSCAN BEANS AND GREENS
gluten free and vegetarian

1 bunch of dark greens, chard kale, collard, or escarole
1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
4 fresh sage leaves, chopped
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth or water
1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes with juices
1 (15-oz) can white beans, drained, rinsed
juice of 1/2 lemon
freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Wash greens, pat dry, and  remove center rib.  Roughly chop leaves.  Set aside.

In a heavy skillet over medium heat in olive oil, saute onions, garlic and sage until onions are softened. (6-8 minutes).  Add green and salt in batches stirring to coat greens.  Cook 3 minutes more.  Stir in water or broth, tomatoes, and beans.  Cover and simmer 3 more minutes until greens are tender but still green.  Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice, and season to taste.  Divide into bowls, drizzle olive oil over servings and top with Parmesan cheese.  Serve with warm crusty bread.

196 cal, 4g fat, 0mg chol, 10g protein, 32g carbs, 8g fiber

Comments

Popular posts from this blog