Just one day of being iced-in almost drove us batty.  On the days that we never leave the mountain by choice, we're usually busy and engaged in projects so that time passes and we don't mind being here all day.  But.............. when an ice storm hinders that freedom, minutes drag by giving an illusion of a 48-hour day.  Yesterday our temperature remained at 27 degrees until around 3 pm when it hit 32.  Showers of freezing rain covered trees, roads, and the porch.  The birds were crazy with hunger darting to the feeders and scavenging the ground.  My intention this winter was to purchase a birdbath heater but I just never did it so yesterday I poured boiling water into the birdbath to keep it open for my thirsty birds.  Between the 10-day period of recent rain and yesterday's icy conditions, I started quilting some squares with all the leftover scraps of material that fill a huge plastic container.  Not sure how the squares will be used but, arranging  the pieces made it easier to get through those dreary days.


The squares measure about 12 X 12 and I started with no pattern.  As a child I, never liked coloring within the lines or reading directions.  At first, strips and pieces were just sewn together.  Then the squares seemed to take on a life of their own and evolve into colors with a center focal piece.  It's been a fun and stress-free project that I can pick and do whenever I need it. 

A few nights ago, I subjected Cliff to a new vegetable recipe, which is posted under the Recipes tab. I decided to try it for a couple of reasons.  In winter, we should be eating more root vegetables and greens like kale and collards.  I'm not sure my mother ever served us parsnips unless she sneaked them into stews and soups.  As a child, I scrutinized my veggies searching for things that should never touch my tongue such as onions.  Chocolate was my most important food group. The other reason I wanted to try the vegetable recipe was the maple syrup coating.  Real Vermont maple syrup makes everything palatable. The recipe is easy and delicious.  The prepping takes the most time, but it's worth it.

Comments

ralph said…
beautiful squares!
Betsy said…
Don't know what I'll do with them yet. Maybe this is the start of making quilts for my children first.

Popular posts from this blog