HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
"though no-one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new end." ~ unknown

As we usually do, we rang in the new year with Ireland as they welcomed 2013 at 7 pm......our time.  Around 10 o'clock our heads hit the pillows and minutes later, Cliff was snoring.  We've done our share of New Year's Eve parties with friends and now prefer to stay home and off the roads.  Clay's Corner in Brasstown holds a possum drop at midnight each New Year's Eve.  The live possum is lowered slowly and gently in a plexiglass container then released at midnight. The event draws quite a crowd from many counties around us. We've considered attending but it's too late for me and it's cold outside.  So we avoid the cold night and read about it in the Cherokee Scout.  

The other day in the mail I got my Baker Creek  Heirloom Seed catalog.  These rainy days give me a chance to sit and dream, plan my early garden, and think about what I want to do differently this year.  NC has a great growing season.  I took the winter off but still have parsley growing and the late fall broccoli and cabbage plants are still green and strong.  As the daylight hours increase and the soil warms, I'll see if they produce.  According to our NC Cooperative Extension, I can begin planting onions and peas in January and cabbage, head lettuce, radishes, spinach, and turnips in February!  This afternoon I made planting pots from old newspaper and started my cabbage.  Also, have never started leeks from seed so trying a small container of leeks.  
To make the little potting containers, roll a folded piece of newspaper around an empty toilet tissue roll and fold up the excess at the bottom.  Tamp it down with a wooden spoon handle or anything that will fit inside the tube.  Remove the tissue roll and start planting seed.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog