Joy to the World

My mother loved this time of year........her greatest pleasure was giving.  Recipe cards and opened cookbooks, gingerbread men and ladies lined the kitchen counters, and the smell of contentment and  pride filled her kitchen. Christmas cards decorated the doorways, the Nativity took its place each year on the dining room hutch, and homemade jars of jam and zucchini relish were neatly wrapped and ready to be given.  In church she reverently sang "Oh, Come All Ye Faithful" and "Joy to the World."  This was a joyous time for her.  

One of her favorite passages from the Bible that gave her daily strength was Isaiah 40:31~"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."

My mother's spirit has taken up residence in my kitchen so I know as I pull out her wooden recipe box and turn on her electric mixer to begin my baking frenzy, she's in the kitchen with me filling my heart with her Christmas spirit. 

Comments

ralph said…
miss you, grammy.

Popular posts from this blog