New Garden

Cliff has a friend from Station 25 who is a farmer and has his own bush hog, tree removal and land clearing business.  He came by this week to tell me the best place to clear for my garden and give us an estimate for his work, but that he wouldn't be able to do the job for a few weeks.  Around noon yesterday he called and said he had a job cancellation and would be able to clear away trees and level the land for my garden that afternoon! 

coming down the driveway


He began the clearing down the slope from the back of the house on the west side. 
foreman Cliff
loosening the roots before pushing the tree over
We needed to keep as many shade trees near the back porch for natural cooling in the summer.
gentle sloping land
 amazing to watch how easily he picked up trees and place them where he intended.

He's been operating equipment since he was 15.  Stacking logs for us to cut and use for firewood.
ready to pick out rocks and roots 
job finished
catnip already growing in the garden
We'll need to find someone with a rototiller and I have many hours ahead picking out roots and rocks.  Today Maxine and I will stake off an area, put on our boots and dig in.  Weather has been gorgeous.  Yesterday reached 72 degrees.  It's been chamber of commerce weather for about 10 days now.  Everyone is out at flea markets, motorcycles are on the 4-lane, and people are setting up their own little flea markets in every available space. I have plenty of time to get the garden ready and add manure, etc. because planting should be held off until sometime in March.  I think I'll try spinach and some cool weather greens first.  There are lots of resources here from our local farmers and from Wayne's Feed and Grain.  I'm excited......can hardly wait to get into the soil.  Have to go eat my Wheaties!!

Comments

Mike said…
I have a rototiller, but it won't fit in a priority mail envelope or I'd let you use it. I'd really like to have a garden again, maybe I'll work on it this summer.
Betsy said…
We went out this morning to start picking up rocks and roots. I wish we lived closer so we could share veggies too. I thought of you today as we began out long process and how you loved your garden. I hope you do get back to it. It's wonderful to work the earth.
ralph said…
i'm so jealous! wonderful that you have it done, though. we were going to cut trees yesterday, but with the high wind advisory, decided not safe. wild fires all across the county, and in several neighboring counties the mountains are on fire. at one point, yesterday, every piece of fire suppression equipment in the entire county was on a working fire. gov'ner declared a state of emergency for those counties. we could smell the smoke in the air all day.
Betsy said…
WOW! that's pretty scary. we haven't had fires in 17 or 25's areas but other dept have been called out. some of our volunteers also have forestry certification and have been sent to asheville where fires are rampant. it's dry and we're been breezy everyday, not high winds like you, though.

i love my garden and pulled roots and picked up huge rocks for my rock wall.

Popular posts from this blog