Forty degrees this morning when we got up and it will be heavy overcast again today with temp hitting 68.  Poor garden is wondering where the sun went.  By Friday we are going to be 90 degrees!! Planted corn yesterday and will plant the butternut squash today.  Need to pick the last of the lettuce before the 90 degrees and most of the radishes before they produce flowers.  Pulled a huge garlic last night and the first couple of onions.  Deer are still enjoying the sweet peas and something ate two of the sweet potato plants.  Guess it's time to put out a scarecrow and some rags or shiny pie pans.

Last night I found the third disgusting scorpion in the kitchen.  Cliff killed one a few weeks ago.  After making my salad with our garden lettuce that had been refrigerated for days, I found one on the kitchen counter a few days ago.  Then last night one suddenly appeared on the hardwood floor where I had just walked....barefoot.  Now I do not suffer from entomophobia, but since being bitten in the toe two years ago, the sight of these vile creatures make my skin crawl.  The sting is extremely painful and lasts awhile.  The research I did says not to be alarmed because the NC scorpion is not dangerous.  This morning I'm wearing shoes, after checking inside of them, and have shaken every piece of clothing I put on, checked the bedsheets last night before going to sleep, and am being vigilant about anything that is even shaped like a scorpion.  The whole house has knotty-pine floors and lots of dark curly knots.   Time to run the vacuum under furniture and under the kitchen sink! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog