Thursday we got our much needed inch of rain washing the dusty leaves and refreshing the wild flowers that grow along the winding roads.    Wednesday I had to furrow the clay between the potato rows because the plants became so large and heavy that they laid over exposing some of the potatoes.  It was like a buried treasure surfacing.  I planted early in March so some are almost ready to harvest.
 I'm not sure what I'll do when the pounds of tomatoes need picking.  I staggered some of the plantings with the thought that I could spread out the harvesting.  The Roma will be made into spaghetti sauce and marina and I'll be preserving everything else that we can't eat.  Most were started from organic seeds and a few plants were bought at Wayne's Feed and Grain.  I think I've planted about 14 plants and given another dozen away.  This year I became intoxicated with planting.  I think next year should be a little more controlled...........if I have the renewed gardening bug out of my system.  I plan to do some record keeping, note on the calendar when and what I planted.........maybe..........  Being organized just isn't that natural for me.  Being enthusiastic and overwhelmed is more my style when I do something that ignites my spirit.
Yesterday we put up the support fences for the tomatoes.

Retirement............
Boni has joined the ranks of retired teachers!  Years of giving 110% to the county, the school, but mostly to her students.  Friday was Volusia County's last day with students.  She is free to renew her energy and her health, to enjoy the longest coffee break in the world, to do the hobbies and activities she didn't have the time or energy to do when working.  Her retirement is greatly deserved.  She and Bill can ride off into the western sunset.  Congratulations, Boni. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog